Thursday, July 16, 2009

07.17.2009 Home late

12:50am Just in.
The opera turned out to be NOT an opera. haha. It was Phantom of the OPERA. Although I saw it when I was little, and I also watched half the movie version, seeing it now is really different. I think I like the Pantages theatre much more. We went to the Taipei arena to watch it. Taipei arena is a REALLY big place. I've seen pictures of events there and you can probably fit a really small country in there. Or at least that's what it feels like. It isn't really an amazing looking building, but whatever, I had to take a picture anyway. The other photo is the hallway ceiling.


Before entering the arena, people are selling binoculars. I wondered why we needed binoculars since most theatres at home have a good view of the stage no matter where you sit.


But when I entered, I understood why. The stage was TINY! A theatre was created by putting a curtain over half the arena and creating a small stage in the center. To the left and right of the stage were large screens that zoomed into the main character while he was talking/singing (think like a concert) and chinese subtitles. It was strange, but I guess it'll do. At least the show was in english! I managed not to fall asleep until the second half after intermission because I decided to nap during intermission. I was getting really tired! I dozed off a bit, and then came to at the final scenes after the masquerade... The point of no return. It was really good. Actually it was amazing. During the first half, I didn't really like it, and I wasn't sure if I liked the girl portraying Christine. But apparently she had won many awards for her part as Christine, and for other shows as well. At that scene, it gets really intense, the music, the characters, the story. I was surprised at how good it was. I was totally awake by then, and I could hear people sniffling behind me as the Phantom's heart is broken. Apparently Phantom of the Opera is based on a very old book that has been made into a few silent movies. Oh and now, officially, Phantom of the Opera can't be compared to the movie version. It just wouldn't be fair!

Everyone got really excited about the show after the show so we took a group memorbilia photo.


Another interesting thing. When everyone left the arena after the show, all the ushers lined up and 'soong' (sent us off) us.



I took a bus with this other girl back to the place I'm staying at. The buses here have a red light up button to push when you want to get off, and cartoons on the TV to watch while you wait for your stop.


Before heading home, we detoured to a food nightmarket. If a photo had a scent, this one would smell like stinky tofu. Although the night market sold mostly food, there were other knickknacks as well like toys, keychains, jewlery and clothes. But not as many clothes as WuFenPu. This one is known for it's street food. I bought a pair of shorts and my friend helped me bargain because I only know how to pay. Unfortunatly I paid too quick for her to finish bargaining lol. She was like you should have held on longer we could have saved enough money to buy another drink! She also mentioned how people who sell things on the street just shout out a random price when you ask them. Especially if it says 499NT they really mean 400NT if you're good. Not only that but WuFenPu prices are never accurate. They don't actually expect you to pay the price they ask for, unless you are a noob/foreigner.

The weather is so hot and sticky. Even at night. Tomorrow apparently, the typoon starts. The typoon is horrible. Water is everywhere and the wind is strong and umbrellas turn inside out.

I've also been officially welcomed to Taiwan by being BITTEN. On my feet three times.I also scratched myself. I did the exact same thing the last time I was here, except worse because I noticed and stopped myself right away. Last time, I scratched my ankle and I guess the skin was dry so it peeled off easily and it turned raw, and it stung.

I will also no longer balling in Japan because I miscalculated the cost of my hotel lol. It's practically double what I expected. : S

I am going to Kaoshiung tomorrow morning. I guess you'll find out about it later.

No comments :

Post a Comment