Wednesday, August 12, 2009

08.12.2009 Yokohama

Today I went out with shifu. They had to do a chanting service for a new home and new Buddha statue. Afterwards they had to go to Yokohama to drop off something and since Yokohama was on my list of places to go, they decided to take me along. I got to sit in the front seat so I could have a better view of everything. I basically did a lot of window seat sightseeing (and pointing). But the most "jing chai" thing of today was attaining my goal of seeing the Yokohama Port Terminal by FOA (Foreign Office Architects). It's really gorgeous. I could picnic there everyday.

Oh, and when I went to the lady's house, the husband is apparently a chiropractor and the wife an exercise lady. (aerobics? Physio therapy?) Anyway everyone was saying how he was really good; His wife was like he can just poke your back and he'll know. So I asked if he could tell me if my back was straight or not. The result? It's actually not that crooked. I was thinking I was screwed but he was like your hip? or pelvic bone? is a little off due to posture or shifting of weight on your legs when you stand/walk, but it is nothing serious. And then after a series of I have no idea what he apparently put it back in place. I don't know how to explain it. It just sounded like "gung-gung" and then he was done. The cool thing was that he would touch the top of my spine at the neck and be like: "does this hurt" on the right and I would say yes, and then he'd do it on the left and I would say no. Then he put these things under my hip so that my weight shifts and he touches the neck spots again and they no longer hurt. (Which tells him my structure is a bit off). I've been feeling a little off balanced afterwards but I think I'm supposed to...
Oh and they gave me a towel because it is customary in Japan to give a towel as a gift when relocating. It's a way of saying thank you for bearing with my intrusion of the area and the inconvenience of change.


Anyway here is a collection of my day:


If you look closely, there is no gas island. The gas nozzle hangs from the ceiling!


Asahi Flame Asakusa - Golden Turd !
Designed by Philippe Starck, the golden flame is supposedly beer foam rising from the beer mug-shaped building below (which we cannot see from the car window on the highway).
Affectionately nicknamed the "Golden Turd" (kin no unchi) it is a hollow stainless steel structure weighing over 300 tons and was completed in 1989 at the height of Japan's economic "Bubble Period".


This is an incinerator?


"Look!" says RuZhao, "Giraffes!"

I don't know how to express my love for this ferry terminal. I took a bajillion photos. Just look at the floor and the amount of work and calculation required to put everything together, and at each angle! Not only that but everything flows very nicely. It's like you are on a ship, or looking at water.


front entrance


Yokohama 150 years anniverary mascot.


Hallway/tunnel


Poor spelling. I hope the fault lies in their keyboards and not their brains.


great hall outside, inside (it was closed), hall entrance is similar to the main entrance



self coronation


The view

Heading home...

a bridge?


ferris wheel


traffic jam: In Japan, this tells drivers which area is stuck in traffic. Red means heavy (basically a stop) and yellow means medium or slow. If there's nothing then that means there is no traffic.


An apartment. I think I've seen it before but I don't have a name or an architect. Reminds me of expo 67 Moshie Safdie, or capsule hotels, or birdhouses for purple martins.


Slim buildings for slim people


Look! can you figure out how the back wheel works?


Oh and I forgot to mention earlier that Wing has solved my Queen sized bed problem by mentioning that IKEA Queen sized beds are (strangely) smaller than the regular Queen sized beds known to us. I guess it's an European thing. Now the last part of the mystery is to ask my friend if his bed is from IKEA. But I bet you it is. You know what, the one in Taipei probably is too!

The other lingering puzzle he answered for me is that the word ogopogo is a PALINDROME. It's probably been months since I've been searching for this word. All I could think of was anagrams.

p.s. the mosquitos stopped biting me.

2 comments :