Tuesday, November 22, 2011

11.22.2011 Alexanderplatz Christmas Market


Oh, for all things wonderful and tacky, this is the season for it.


Today my coworker and I went to this hotel called the SoHo house and sat in their bar lounge with giant comfy couches and brainstormed ideas over cappuccino. It was a nice change of environment and the place was kinda cool. The first main floor was the playground floor, so when you entered, the concierge was on your left, there were ping pong tables to your right, a floor maze, and those spinny circle things you sit in that belong in playgrounds in the back, and a set of matte black spiral stairs in the middle going up to a gym? and going down to a spa? Anyway it's members only so I politely sat on the playground pieces and revelled with my eyes.

We stopped working once it got dark, and I left in search of MUJI. I never found it, but instead, I discovered that the Christmas market at Alexanderplatz has opened! Hooray! And really, the best thing about markets is food, not shopping, so I tried to look local with my camera in my hand. OK here goes, let me show you Alexanderplatz in the advent season!

This is pretty much the only image of  "things" I have from this market. Everything else was food, look on.

Candy store. Lots of gingerbread and beernuts or carmelized nuts, or what have you, and artificially coloured lollipops. There are no candycanes though...







Mushrooms on the grill

Scones? Didn't try these, what if I find ham inside??


Who wants to spend money here, when you can eat?

Germans and their "curling" game. hah! Doesn't it look like a plunger?



Hot dogs and meat cooked over coal

This is how people stay warm, I didn't want to stand there too long to take a photo of strangers sitting and drinking. (Because I'm shy and it's awkward)

Hot dogs and fries

A bakery, I had a waffle!

This man sells meat sausages and cheese

This lady is roasting chestnuts!

People traditionally drink "Gluhwine?" Something like hot wine, I had hot chocolate in a special edition Christmas market mug!




P.S. Just because it's holiday season, doesn't mean you should play Settlers. Resist!

5 comments :

  1. You could have had the taters there haha! Just get the bratkartoffeln mit Champignons without the Gyrosfleisch.

    And they sort of burnt your waffle haha.

    The Schneeballe "snowballs" are sweet and should be without meat, they have hazelnut and chocolate fillings etc. Unlike the croissants. Anything with powdered sugar should be save to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see cocos, champagne, cappuccino, nuts flavoured snowballs...hmmmmmmmmzzzzz deliciousssssss

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, I've been seeing them everywhere. I think I will get the schneeballe things and send them home. Although I don't know if they taste good, they seem pretty unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading through your post has made me so hungry!! and I want to try everything!! :p
    looks like so many things to explore!! lucky ducky!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha i just came back to look at this post and remembered from your photo of "mushrooms on the grill!" was actually string... D:

    ReplyDelete