Tuesday, February 19, 2013

02.19.2013 Kampala



roaming the streets 
I don't think I've explained why I am in Uganda. This is a school trip relating to my final graduation project. These are my last few months as a carefree student. I'm not sure if the carefree part will change even if I'm not a student though. Anyway, my project is part of a larger project whose theme is 'Design Innovation for Disability', and in this case it's specific to a rural location of Uganda also known as Kasese. (Due to the NGOs that we work with and the access to the community as well as the local worksmiths) There are four students, each with their own specific project, two profs, and one liaison in the troupe. I'm in Kampala now, but tomorrow I will be heading to Kasese. More details about my project and the learning points can be found here.
And my team's project blog is http://harambee-uganda.blogspot.com

The morning was spent just sorting things out, getting started.. getting cash, a sim card, water, etc. In the meantime, we wandered along the big streets by our guesthouse. The street is called Kampalagala which is a street of bars, but formost, I think it has a fun sounding name. I mean, who wouldn't want to party there.


 This is where we sleep. Photo credit: Ruby Hadley

We're next to Oxfam. Photo credit: Ruby Hadley

 Photo credit: Ruby Hadley

Photo credit: Ruby Hadley

small door! Photo credit: Ruby Hadley

Photo credit: Ruby Hadley

Passionfruit



Jesus is the answer

Purchasing an MTN charger

We lived next to the Ciao Ciao Italian supermarket

Banana everywhere

we meet our driver, Richard

Heading out!
Today we visited two places in Kampala just to get acquainted with what disability and care in Uganda is like. Driving through the city, we got a glimpse of the hustle and bustle of the streets. Strangely, it reminds me of Asia...well rural Taiwan... the heat, the large number of people everywhere, the making-do of everything, slums, street vendors, motorcycles. I also think it's the plastic bathing/laundry bucket in the shower.. it brings me back to the days I lived in TsungLin. Of course, it's not the same same, because I mean, this is Africa, I'm sure the nuances are different.




We visited a really wonderful and amazing lady named Fatuma. She is both disabled and an advocate for people with disabilities in Uganda. As well as an expert in the field. In her time, she's owned and used both tricycles, wheelchairs, and crutches, started an organization called Made that provides women with disabilities with employment, is a skilled welder, and can build a tricycle wheelchair from start to finish.

It was a great opportunity to meet her. Originally we thought we were going to Made, but by blindly following directions, we ended up at her house. She stressed about the importance of design and how tricycles are machines that come in contact with the human body and therefore can only be successful if they have been designed to do so properly. And not only is form and fit and ergonomics important, but ease of use. "It's all about the person, so when you design something, think of Fatuma!" she would say. We all left her house inspired, impressed, and newly motivated.




Our next stop was to a Katalemwa Cheshire Home for Rehabilitation Services. We were told that this was the cream of the crop, and indeed the place is like a dream come true. The centre runs as a rehab unit for children with disabilities. They measure, fit, build, and train individuals to use and get accustomed to their disabilitiy / aid preventing the disabilities to worsen and relieving the idea that disability means inability. And with the aim of providing holistic care, children continue to be educated, parents that come with their children (because they are young) are taught useful trade skills just as sewing, agriculture, etc during their time there. At the Cheshire home, they even have a shop to create disability aids custom fit!

We weren't allowed to take photos because of the children, but the shop area was permissable. It's a dream come true for people who need disability rehabilitation. If only more places could be like this, there.









The roads are rough, someone tried to patch a ditch

We went out for dinner at a schoolmate's family restaurant, we stick out like sore thumbs

Our driver, Richard, is really awesome. He's got this big smile on his face all the time and loves music and animals and being in pictures! We're getting to know him, but it doesn't take long for us to warm up to him. We'll be driving around town listening to his CDs. Today it's Neil Young with the windows all rolled down and nothing but sunshine (and car exhaust) all around.

We grabbed lunch at a classmate's parent's restaurant. The food was really good. It's not super local because it's in an expat area of town, nonetheless, it is our best meal yet!


--
Poverty is noticeable everywhere, and it's not as if this is the first time encountering such, but as a country, a city, a community, it is a first. Poverty doesn't bother me. That is not to mean I am apathetic. Today we saw sick children lying in bed, kids with deformed legs, young children with mental disabilities screaming, all on the slow road towards healing and all I can say is that this is their circumstance. Not in a cold way, but in a 'this is life' sort of way. I guess it's not meant to be fair, and you know what? They do the best they can do...that's what makes it 'okay'. And if we were placed under these conditions, what better could we do? Without money? Without affordable means? Still, the contrast is a reminder that my privileged life back home doesn't require all the things I think I need. I can live a much simpler life. Not that I can one day instantly rid myself of all my stuff but it is knowing that there's a lot of superficial things out there, and you really don't need any of it, because look, these people live, make a living, and have a family, have friends, and are happy, and still have barely anything at all. 

No comments :

Post a Comment