Friday, July 24, 2009

07.25.2009 Heading to Motosu Temple

10:00 am. Hotel
So I heard that Motosu temple has really poor internet connection. Which means I may be silent for a few days. (a week?) I guess that means you can catch up on my daily blogging. haha. Anyways my luggage was already full, and it still is. It just so happens that I am a master of packing. wahaha. check it out. (I had to eat an instant noodle so I can have more space)



Not bad huh? Anyway I have to go checkout soon. Bye!

12am Motosu Temple
I’m finally at the conference center. Today we got to the shuttle bus meeting point at 3:30pm. Then we waited and didn’t get onto the actual shuttle until 7pm. However, let me start from the beginning of my day.


1. sign for an extraordinary bus stop. 2. found something cute 3. We wished this was our bus. If it was I would forgive it for being 3 hours late.

This morning, after checkout, we stayed around the Shinjuku area for more shopping. I went to buy another mini designer chair and still did not end up with an Eames elephant. Maybe that one is rare. Either way, I don’t want to purchase any more chairs because they take up a lot of luggage space and I’m not getting the one I want!

The Coach store in Japan has a new collection called Coach Poppy. It’s really young and colourful and a lot more bold than the multi colour Louis Vuitton monograms. I actually kind of like it, and I don’t normally like Coach. They also have a really nice bag in a new colour for about 600 USD. I tried on their trench as well. It was alright but I wanted purple (and I would never buy it anyway) but it didn’t “exist”. (I asked for purple because a mannequin was holding a purple one. But apparently it is for display purposes only. What about when the season is over? Who is going to get the RARE PURPLE TRENCH??!)

My roomie and I happily cheaped out for our meals and ate lunch from 711. I think it is my cheapest meal yet. I had 250 yen cold soba noodles!


I also finally made it to the Cocoon Tower by Kenzo Tange. It actually houses three schools inside it. I’ve been eyeing it ever since I arrived and I was able to wander towards it today to check it out and take cool photos. Apparently it was just built last year. So my roomie and I went inside the building to check it out and there were a bunch of people inside who held up signs with arrows on them and kept directing us to go around corners and up stairways. We wondered where we were going and noticed a small line of young people in front of us also following the signs. At that point my bright roomie decided to stop to read the signs, only to discover that the signs were directions for students to take their school entrance examinations. We quickly left the line and laughed. I am glad we didn’t follow them all the way into the examination room!

And, remember that the guy I mentioned the other day that I knew but didn’t really know but thought I knew? I actually don’t know him at all! We’ve never ever met. How did I find out? One of his friends from Vancouver in our group asked me how I knew him because apparently he doesn’t know how he knows me, and frankly he doesn’t! (but didn’t know that) I guess that solves my mystery too. And being a Buddhist was out of the question because apparently he is Christian. haha!

Oh, other than the giant lure to buy a comme des garcons tee or something issey miyake, I have discovered that Comme des garcons has a Converse SHOE. It comes in black or white and high top or low. Now that’s something you won’t be able to find in Canada…
Apparently Reina (company making mini designer chairs) made a large mini chair version. I saw it on my last few minutes of shopping. It’s about 10300 Yen but originally 15000 Yen. If I lived in Japan I would not hesitate as a real life sized one is about 200 000+ Yen. And they use real material, not plastic. For example the Eames short chair that is in the same type/style as the elephant, is actually made of wood. And if I was 5 years old and not obese I could sit on it. I think the lady said 50lbs… kg?

Lastly from my ramblings here, I have to tell you more stories about the fascinating toilet facilities in Japan. At the gas stop, there was a big map of the washroom and a picture of each toilet. Beside each toilet were two lights: amber and green. Green meant that there was a vacancy and you could go, and red meant occupied. The washroom wasn’t huge, but they had a map anyway. Because they can I guess.

The toilets at the hotel have lids that automatically lift when you go near them so you don’t have to touch them. Not only that but for flushing, you simply place your hand in front of a sensor for 2 seconds and the toilet will flush. Can you imagine how much more efficient and water saving that is compared to the toilets with the sensors at the pipe that most universities use? That way the toilet doesn’t flush when it shouldn’t. Last thing to note is that you can choose to emit a noise while you are doing your business so the people in the room can’t hear you. I pushed it once to try and it sounded like a missile being fired, but I think it was supposed to be the sound of water flushing. The other sound I’ve heard so far is the sound of water being filtered and/or dropping.
Ok, that’s all. I hope I’ve been able to make up for my lack of posting and photos for this week!



No comments :

Post a Comment