Sunday, August 16, 2009

08.16.2008 Asakusa

I came home at 11pm today and my roommate was already asleep. Thank goodness I packed last night! But I had a really great evening in Tokyo with two wonderful people.

Today I was going to simply stay home. Because it is a Sunday, there is "gung xiou" and this weekend there is also a "da bei chan" Which is probably one of my favourites. I realized that I haven't gone to a "da bei chan" in a very long time and although there was no english version I cried from the very beginning up until "Da Bei Jou". I'm not sure what it was, and it was really strange but I really coudln't help myself. It's just a sort of weird "gan dong" I guess.


After the ceremony, this lady helped me put on a yukata (Japanese robe, simpler, lighter version of a kimono). Originally the plan was to wait for summer hanabi (fireworks) because August is full of them and then I would be dressed up in the traditional summer yukata and go out to watch the fireworks and whatever else they have there. However, it just so happend that on the weekends I was available, there were no festivals. So instead, today they got someone to put a yukata on me just so I could take pictures.

1. being dressed 2. V.RuZhao's work


photoshoot. jk he just randomly took pictures for me.

AND THEN, my lovely friend PengTao showed up, and we got him to take me out to see these candlelit lanterns that were being let out on a lake at Asakusa at night. V.RuZhao was originally going to come with us, but she figured it might be a bad idea, but after we made faces at her and (smart)PengTao pulled some strings, she got to come along with us! So tonight turned out really great!! Not only that, but PengTao said that if V.RuZhao came with us, then he would go and get the guy's version of a yukata (I don't know what it's called) so that we would match. (because I was wearing one already)


note the green pants! would you dare?

First, we went to Parco to purchase a men's Yukata, and then we headed for Asakusa. We had loads of fun and took a lot of silly pictures. Asakusa at night is actually very pretty!

1. why are you giving me that ugly face?





The candle light ceremony was actually a buddhist ceremony for the deceased. Each candle bag has a name of a person who has passed away. From the bridge you can hear the chanting (it turned out to be a tape recording) and watch the candles float by. It was kind of creepy and kind of nice at the same time.



Phillipe Stark's Golden Turd. (see post 08.12)


a very old subway entrance


model shoot.


this man is real! and his liquor store is 150 years old! He looks so cool!


hint: this is what we think of when we see a weeping willow, at night


This is asakusa. and its famous red lantern gate



Probably my favourite photo of the night. too bad it's blurry. This is why its so dangerous to give your camera to a stranger to take pictures for you!


Sensoji Temple. It is for Kannon (GuanYin) and is Tokyo's oldest temple.

We went to get our fortunes...

1. Waah what did I get? 2.Why doesn't this work?


Look yonder at the moon!

1. "xia ma"!


let us in!


Peng says I'm screwed for life


"yes master"


1 an old street 2. street food like in the movies!


"Try the red bean dessert," says Peng
He got us Japanese desserts from this random place on the street in Asakusa. I had a slushie like thing and that red bean desert and this chewy peanut covered thing.

Peng stuffing his face with ice

We headed home after that because it was already 10ish. If it was any earlier we'd check out what Shinjuku is like at night too!

When I got back I went to weigh my luggage just to make sure I'm not overweight. My large one is 22.3kg and my small one is currently 18kg but it's stuffed. I'm so glad I bought a second luggage and at this size. I don't know how I'd make it home with just one suitcase! But on that note, I'll be home soon!!!!




mosquito bite count: 15

1 comment :

  1. Yea, gandong for unknown reason. Like I can never figure out why I cried for several days during the "gong yang jou" at the beginning of lunch since the first day of short term monastic retreat...

    Wow~ Your trip sure ends with a very interesting day filled with joy ne~~~ A perfect ending.

    QQ

    ReplyDelete