Wednesday, May 19, 2010

05.16-18.2010 Soho NewYork

First, as a disclaimer for this post: I apologize I didn't take many pictures, nor did I do much "adventure" seeking. All the peculiarities and quirks of NewYork I have missed as this trip was mainly: 1. shopping and 2. ICFF and so virtually no touring (except inside soho stores). I didn't even goto the MoMA!

This was a very short trip. We took the overnight bus to and from New York, which was very tiring. I woudln't suggest it unless you are young and full of boundless energy (in which I am no longer!)
The bus ride is about a 10-12 hour ride, but we were stuck at the border for a while because there were two girls whose Canadian visa was expiring the next day, so it was strange for them to enter the US and henceforth, they held the entire bus at the border.

We arrived later than our ETA to NewYork and quickly settled in so we could head straight aways to SoHo.

Do I really need to describe to you what SoHo is like? Streets and streets of high end shops, half of which you cannot get in Canada. But the streets of stores aren't like the streets of stores in Hong Kong, it's got its own kind of style (of which I cannot verbalize)! It wasn't very busy because it was weekday, but it didn't make a difference since there was a lot of ground to cover anyway.

1. figuring out where we are going, 2. shopaholics(opening ceremony!)


1. top shop men are 2. top notch!


1. This would have been exciting if I has posted this earlier. Well, it was exciting to hold the ipad before it entered Canada. 2. kidrobot


1. uniqlo spiderman - we spent 3 hrs at this store.


1. confessions of a shopaholic


1. lost!

1. Dinner at pio pio 2. the decor, the walls are covered in branches

Shopping in SoHo was nice but tiring after 6 hours. Theres plenty of unaffordable things to gawk at and by the time I checked out the 30th pair of jeans I didn't really care to really look anymore. But the one thing I love about high end stores are the stores themselves. For example, Prada was like a maze to get through, and anthropologie was like walking through somebody's summer garden terrace...with clothes hanging here and there. It's so neat-o. Too bad its hardly ever permitted to take photos in stores.
There were a lot of ICFF parties in SoHo that night too, we walked by a few but we didn't go. I also think I wouldn't be cool enough. Next time, perhaps I will try. Anyways instead of partying with the designer crowd, we Karoke'd the evening away.

No comments :

Post a Comment