Friday, December 2, 2011

12.02.2011 Turkish Market!


Yesterday I tried to find the post office and ended up at the Christmas Market. Today, I am at the Turkish market! I've heard that this place is THE place to get everything cheap and fresh. I arrived during it's last hour because I went after work and spent half the time walking in the wrong direction from the station.



This is one of those markets that just spring up from the street. It is sort of magical in that way, you would be walking and walking, and all of a sudden in front of you, the side-walk ends and turns into lights, crowds, shouting mongers, and an array of colourful vegetables (and not so colourful fish).

leather and lace. and zippers
At the Turkish market, you can find fresh fish, meat, and vegetables, bread for very cheap, lots of hummus and spices, fabric, buttons, beads, clothes, shoes, flowers, basic electronics like batteries, and boiled corn that is sold in the tiny spaces left between some of the larger vendors. Burly Turkish men watch you from behind their table and shout about their best deals and trios of middle aged women are pushing and bargaining for even better prices.

"So are you going to light a candle this weekend?" she asked, and then paused to explain, "You light one on each Sunday until Christmas." 

It's too bad was in a rush because if not, I'd have better pictures. I wanted to see everything and take pictures before it all got packed up, but I also needed to buy fabric for my curtains, and some other items on my shopping list.

My coworker called me and invited me over to her place for pre-dinner even though she knew I couldn't make it for dinner dinner. I went, of course, and bought a cute basket of clementines for her (leaves included!). Well actually, I tried to buy only one basket from the Turkish man, but he insisted that I purchase two baskets and proceeded to put them both in my grocery bag. Even though I couldn't understand what he was saying, I could definitely tell what he was doing. I tried to display my refusal, but I still ended up leaving with two baskets of clementines except for one!


I went to my coworker's pre-dinner, dinner and it was nice. She has a beautiful home and really cute kids, and cool friends too! Although I could only stay for a short while, I'm glad I stopped by, I really miss a good everybody-together dinner. And the cheese was heart shaped! How illegal would it be to bring the cheese back to Canada..?

No comments :

Post a Comment