Thursday, January 12, 2012

01.12.2012 Let the Rhythm Hit 'em at the Kunstraum Bethaniel/Kreuzberg


Noriko Okaku, Joyz-electropia

I had to come here three times to see the exhibition. The first time I went, the lady was closing up the rooms early, so I told myself, "I have to be back before the exhibition ends!" (Which is at the end of the week) The second time, I got so terribly lost I just went back on the train to go home, and the third time I made sure to orient myself properly so I would neither be late nor lost.

Kunstraum Kreuzberg is originally a hospital, but has been re-purposed and is now dedicated as an arts space promoting social processes and dialogue within contemporary art. I think it also houses a music school because I can hear violins and pianos behind locked doors in the hallway.

Enter through the corner.
Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em is an exhibition that asks simple question: what is the connection between sound and art? How do sound, music, and image relate to one another as well as how are visual artists influenced by contemporary music and vice versa-- musicians to visual art? It is (coincidentally), also the title of a hip-hop album from the early 90s.

There are a heap of artists contributing their works, installations, interactive media, etc. for this exhibition and it was a nice kind of different from the things and galleries that I've been seeing lately --sort of like a local collaboration. It was refreshing and I quite enjoyed it! (hence having to take three trips there to see it)

Matthias Mayer, The Party Loader. There is a giant subwoofer under the hood.

Jakob Jensen, Rock is my Life, and this is my song. A giant rock is placed on this record and as the vinyl spins, the sound changes by the pin being interfered with the rock.

In Jacob Jensen’s original work “Rock is my life, and this is my song” rotates a stone happily on top of a turntable. If you give the work enough attention, you will realize that the little rock always hits the needle at the same spot, and thus pushes the song steadily back to the starting point. This must be true “Rock” passion. artconnectberlin.

Onomatopeia, Jan Christensen, Anders Fjosne and Marcel Dickhage
This was cool and one of my favourites. The above girl holding the flash light is actually affecting the music/sound being made, and possibly even the light quality of the bulb in the centre (or it could be via another button). How it works is this thing (I believe is) called an opto-isolator which is sensitive to light and in this gadget, is also something that allows you to create oscillation sounds like a synthesizer. So there are eight of those chips open to receiving the light from the flash light(s) (there are three available) and the sound changes the farther or closer you direct the light. And that is just at that post. The other columns hold recording and playback and loop buttons and all sorts of things that influence the "music" you can be making. There were also non technical music making instruments such as a wooden fish and a bell, or wind chimes.


1. Enter to listen to Diana Ross and Lionel Ritchie,                             2. A wall of stereos playing tapes hooked up to headphones. Choose your own adventure.
  
Helmut Hattler, Kraan? Projections on a glass sphere 

interior atrium

No comments :

Post a Comment