Wednesday, February 1, 2012

02.01.2012 Bouldering at Ostbloc



Yeah, yeah, I succumbed and went for it. Over the holidays I spotted my house mate with a pair of rock climbing shoes so I knew she was one of them. Well, she just started doing it she says, "So if you suck, I will suck more." During my few days off, I mentioned to her that when she was going for her next climb, perhaps I'd join her. The next evening, we were here, at Ostbloc. A place purely for bouldering, meaning climbing without a harness. I've never made it very high via bouldering back home, so once I was able to climb four feet off the ground without being strapped in, (and then looking down, or beginning to feel your sweaty fingers slip off the stupidly tiny rock) the idea of falling was not a welcome one. You could jump, but there was so much effort in climbing to the top, you'd have to wonder if you could trust your legs to hold yourself up when you plummet. 

The place was good, and had many challenging routes. I could do probably less than half of the beginner routes, but to be fair, this is more challenging than climbing with a rope. There was also a good amount of technique required for the climbs, in which I have none. You couldn't just get through it with long legs and strong arms. (I don't have those either!) I have a band of friends back home who go rock-climbing too. It started off with an innocent looking groupon and now, it has grown into a weekly habit for them. I won't be catching up with them at this rate in Berlin, so when they decide to go outdoor climbing next summer, I suppose I'll settle for being the designated campfire maker.



Also, that slackline thing that is oh-so-fun at rock climbing places? Apparently you can do more than just walk across it! He's got so much control he can bounce off the string and land back on his feet and continue walking. (It's not exactly in the video) Another guy tried to do it after him, and just got whipped off the slackline.

They also have this thing where you put your legs in two separate string loops that are suspended from the ceiling, and then you do push-ups with your arms off this board that rolls/pivots/is balanced on a tube in the middle. I didn't try it, because I didn't want to face-plant myself to the ground but, h-core yo!

1 comment :