Saturday, July 21, 2012

07.21.2012 Prague


Wenceslas Square daytime
Welcome to Bohemia. Prague is a really pretty city. I couldn't really tell last night while it was dark and I was lost but in the daylight, everything is really old... and preserved.. sort of like a museum. Not in a fake, rebuilt way, but in a legit you-are-in-another-era way. Anyway, less talking, more viewing. Have fun!


Wenceslas Square nighttime!
My friend is joining me later today so I set out early to do some independent sightseeing before she arrives...and to orient myself. Just as I was leaving Berlin my housemate asked me where I was going and I said, "Prague!" and she said, "OH!" and betrothed me with her Lonely Planet book...which is actually really useful if you have time to read it. And as often as I convince myself that travelling by myself is better, I am really happy I spent this weekend with a friend. 

looks like I'm in Berlin doesn't it?

aaaaarchitecture! 

aaaaart nouveau! standing as it was in 1910.

The National Gallery, Národní Museum

Good King Wenceslas! aka Saint Wenceslaus, Duke of Bohemia (like in the Christmas song)
Good king Wenceslas sits high atop this main square in Prague. Everything sort of connects here and the roads are wide for horses and tourists are everywhere. 

1. Bus sign                                                                                                                2. Underpass

The floor! The ceiling!

 Prague hlavní nádraží (main train station) - Josef Fanta

 

a surprise!  Jewish Synagogue in the Old Jewish Quarter




Jindrissika Vez (tower)


crown of pearls atop the Koruna tower




1. Mozart's esteemed Estates Theatre                                 2. Anna Chromy, in memory of the premiere of Don Giovanni 1787


Old Town Square, Jan Hus Memorial, Tyn Cathedral 14C

1. Don't feed the birds,                                                                      2. Don't step on the grass.

1. St. Nicholas church 1735,  2. At the Kafka house ,  3. Astronomical Clock! Tells you all sorts of time through the sun, moon, constellation, season etc.

Wedding bells
This girl was getting married and her bridesmaid approached me to be a part of the bouquet catching crowd. She was not speaking English so I wasn't sure if she was trying to swindle me or ask for directions midst the tourist-clock-staring crowd. But I guess not!


Old-New synagogue, one of Prague's first gothic buildings, and Europe's oldest active synagogue

old art nouveau, Pariska street.


sgraffito

heading underground
The subways are really deep underground and those escalators go really fast! Most stations look the same but with different colours and there are like three levels of metro with at least five exits each. 


Feel like I'm in a bunker



1. Fred and Ginger - Frank Gehry,                                                                                               2. National theatre

National Theatre 







so dark!




Fake brick


The Renaissance




crooked windows



Top of the hill!

1. For arrows                                                                                                                           2. Red roofs!

The castle of Prague is on the top of this hill and along the climb you get this nice view of the city. The roof tops are all red like in Florence. To get here, you have to cross Charles Bridge and then through these Medieval looking gates and then it's this giant uphill trek. 

Secret garden!
We went looking for this "John Lennon Wall" that was in our map, and as we kept walking in circles we couldn't find it. Even when we stopped to ask people about it they had no idea. It was all really strange because it just had to exist. If it was on google maps and lonely planet, why not? Until a girl told us that they took the wall down two years ago. But in our search, we saw this garden from afar and found this place!


1. interior                                                                           2. aviary                                                          3. face, early baroque

The grotto (Dripstone wall)
The rock wall is artificial and is meant to create a secretive and mysterious area where elements of artificial and real nature mingle and contrast and uncertainty is heightened with images of frogs, snakes, monsters, grotesque faces, and animals in the wall. And then there's also this aviary on the side which lends an acoustic feature to the garden. 

Old town square, at night

No comments :

Post a Comment