Sunday, February 19, 2012

02.19.2012 Köpenick, Kunstgewerbemuseum


Köpenick, pronounced cur (like curdle)-pen-ick. Located near the outskirts of the city, this is the farthest I've ventured to. (If you don't count the Schoenefeld Airport) The train I took had only a dozen people on it and it makes its last stop at a deserted platform, where only a few people are waiting to get on.  


My understanding of Berlin has been based off of the busy populated city centers --young families, bikes, cars, flat buildings, modern sculptures, people, stores, and cafes. So when I arrived here and crossed the bridge towards the Platz, the view really caught me off guard. I was expecting to see a boring shore-line similar to the one with the molecule man, (no offense) and instead I felt like I was looking at an entirely different city! This wasn't like the Berlin I knew.


A few days ago, I stumbled across a link for an architecture concept created by NL Architects. One thing lead to another and I found that they had designed a playground in Berlin, and it looked REALLY COOL. So I went to see it for myself. This is why and how I ended up hanging out on the edge of Berlin. 

The horses signify the tram stop. 
These "Wild Horses" are a replica of the ones that famous people in Berlin monuments sit on. Of course, each [ruler] monument has their own bronze horse, so there are different ones "roaming" in the area. I was going to sit on one but didn't..

City Hall? Is it me or does it seem that most City Halls are in red brick..

Das Netz, NL Architects
Walking down this street, I finally saw it, a giant hammock lying in the hole of space between two buildings. I think I had romanticised the concept in my head so the idea of it was much more exciting than the actual thing. Nevertheless, I still enjoy thinking about it and I'm glad I saw it in person. This was a project that stemmed from the desire to find creative solutions for these vacant lots that have been ignored in this town. Too bad it's icky spring weather, in the summer, when the grass is green, the area will look much happier. 

 

All in all this playground net thing was pretty cool. I climbed it (of course), but I was terribly wobbly climbing with a wedged heel. The entire structure is climbable, and I saw a kid climb up the side walls and into that second level area. Seeing him do it, I wanted to try it too, but it's not easy. Not long after, I gave up and sat in a mid level hammock piece for a bit before rolling out and continuing my way through the tunnel. 

From the structure, you are supposed to have a nice view of the water and the castle. But I was so focused on trying not to lose my foot between the ropes I was only looking downwards.

1. interesting building/courtyard space,                                       2. but of course I'm still in Berlin. It's an abandoned building.

1. building,                                                    2. abandoned ship themed playground

 
looks like a heart right?

The visible edge of an invisible house

giant umbrella at the MarktParkPlatz

What a strange sight right? An oversized umbrella in the middle of a parking lot. At the corner of this street, a triangular space is painted red and in the middle stands the umbrella. When there are events, or an open air market, the umbrella is opened, and when there is nothing special, it is closed and the parking lot becomes normal again. 

Museum of Decorative Arts
On the other side of the street was the Museum of Decorative Arts. I was just about to leave and was walking towards the train station when I figured I wasn't going to head out to this area that often. I may as well check it out and cross this museum off the list too. 

Everyone who walked out of this museum was seniorly. There was a brief moment of hesitation.

 
1. Ice is melting! Winter is over! ,                                                                          2. White tree trunks

One would think that the Museum of Decorative arts would have a fancier façade...


Everything was primarily in German, so most of the time was spent admiring the stuccoed ceilings. Each room was different, you wouldn't be able to resist either. 

Decorative arts is like a remote ancestor of industrial design, it's still in the family although we've sort of moved on from there. Here, there is a half salvaged (due to WWII) collection of porcelain, tapestries, glass, gold, and silverware divided amongst two museums ...all from a time when people got tired at looking at fine art paintings and instead, wanted functional gold teapots that they could also melt for money in times of desperation when the teapot was no longer fashionable.

1. invisible swordsman in a box.                                      2. I sat it it for the first time. It's surprisingly comfortable...

The Coat-of -Arms Hall. 


tapestries

Large silver buffet from the Berlin Royal Palace
This extravagant buffet ensemble sits facing a throne. There are nine pitchers, a gilded hand vessel, six bottles, and two pate dishes (and probably other things not noted). Apparently, the entire set almost melted during the Napoleon wars.

1. de-,                                                                    2. -tails

Porcelain gallery

Face! Dutch baroque- Delft faience?

 
1. faces on the private breakfast set.                                         2. Chinoiserie, replicating the Asian.

family tea, tea family?

The lemon yellow backgrounded chamber from the Palazzo Graneri.

European Rococo?

       1. The fancier, the more wealthy the collector is,            2. storage for gems, minerals, coins and medals,                    3. press!


cabinets of curiositiy

4 comments :

  1. Very well... You scared me with the last picture.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is the place my dad wanted to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quellenbourgh or something like that. So it's not this place

    ReplyDelete