Saturday, May 26, 2012

05.26.2012 There's Cake in Berlin 1/3



shadow puppets
There is no tomorrow when you are in good company. After a good amount of heckling since November, my friend has finally made a visit to Berlin!

"Don't move!" she said.
A series of blunders occurred right before I left my apartment to pick up my friend. I swear I would have been on time if I wasn't so clumsy. Five minutes before leaving, I misplaced my bus pass, and fifteen minutes later when I gave up the search and bought a new one, I misplaced my bank card. By then I was late and ran for the bus, but watched it depart from across the street. I got to the Hauptbahnhof, but realised I had no idea what platform the train would be at. I got to the platform, looked left right and center and my friend wasn't there. Then I peered over the railing and saw the top of his head on an escalator right below me. It's totally disruptive to shout, but I did it anyway. I'm pretty sure everyone on the platform heard me except for him so I goosetail chased him like a game of snakes and ladders until he spotted me on one of the the stairs heading his way. I totally spotted him first.

the Mysterious Mustafa 
We went to eat at the infamous Mustafa's Gemuse Kebap. What other fast food street food is better than kebap in Berlin? The average wait time at this joint is 30-45 minutes at any given time of the day or night (except stupid hours like 10am, or 4pm). So I'm glad we started not hungry, because 45 minutes later we were starving. The place is a tiny street stand that holds at most three people. One guy toasts bread, one guy takes your order and makes your kebap and the other guy is cutting doner and sometimes is also getting his hands on your kebap. I can't seem to figure how or why the line moves so slowly, or if it is deliberate, but the process feels super slow.

people mountain people sea, and smoke
It also happened to be Kultur-Fest that weekend in Kreuzberg and we were literally just around the corner, so we joined the masses and checked out the stalls.

1. Rules of entry: No debbie-downers allowed.                                                 2. Food sign

Charlie
We visited all the prime tourist spots in one night. Honestly I think it's the best time to go because it's quiet and it's not overly crowded with people and tour buses, and everything is nicely lit up. Even so, I've never been to Brandenburger Tor at night. (I imagined it to be glorious)

1. check,                                                  2. check,                                                   3. check

East meets West

1. Bits of wall at Potsdamer Platz,                                       2. This is gross, but look, it's a gummy bear!

1. At Potsdamer Platz                                                  2. The Sony Center by Helmut Jahn

In Excelsis Gloria!

The Reichstag, I wish I was here when Christo and Jeanne-Claude wrapped it

1.The "fake" Dali Museum,                                                               2. Dali Bear! And being recognized on the street at night.

The Jewish Memorial. At night. Yes, it is as creepy as it sounds. Don't venture it alone.

All the major landmarks of Berlin in one night, yatta!

4 comments :

  1. Heckling...I think you went beyong a point of hecking. I was just waiting for the right time because the weather always sucks. I made it not suck when I was there :)

    You were totally in your PJ's just before I arrived! And I told you, you didn't have to clean up your room :) and you screaming...I was listening to some baddass music at the time. You know I waited on the platform for a while and then decided to wait outside for a while...and then go back in again...

    Mustafa's aren't known for their fast working pace. We complain about it here too...I almost sound racist. Maybe not almost...

    Yes tourist hotspots at night are the best. Enough space to take shots. But I need a better camera for the nights. I'd like to see the stars etc once and capture them...The memorio should be done again. There has to be a better point of view. In Excelsis Deo.

    And you still don't know why you felt like chopping off your legs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memorial is strange to capture, even if you google it to see how other people have tried to snap a photo of it, you can see it's difficult to get a good angle. (at least imo).
      And, In Excelsis Gloria, like the Christmas Carol.
      No, why what's wrong with my legs?

      Delete
  2. Gloria....In Excelsis Deo...trust me (legs, check the next post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Huron Carol, not the hymn Glory to God in the Highest.

      Delete