Monday, August 20, 2012

08.20.2012 Sevilla day 2



Today I went to Alcázar, the great, the breautiful, the grand. And the Plaza de España during siesta. I was supposed to go there in the morning where it would be less touristy and not as hot, but I slept in. If I wasn't dying from the heat, I think I would venture further and see the other buildings, but it really was too hot. There were no trees and it was like being in an oven. The instant I got there I darted under the shade of the building.


Heading to Alcazar, there are pieces of old Roman ruins along the base of the Giralda. These are leftovers from the major architectural upheavals beginning in the Middle Ages used to erase its Roman character. I ran out of time to get into the Giralda. I've been told that inside, there are no steps, just a big slope for horses to gallop upwards through the tower.

Alcázar! (aka Royal Palace)

I think this is my first time seeing Islamic architectural influences outside of a museum glass. The rulers who had these building constructed were Moors/Muslims. Everything is tiled and it's mathematical precision and everywhere-ness leaves you in awe. Seeing it firsthand, I finally understood why people can be obsessed with Islamic art and patterns. 

The Alhambra


something about Muhammad Ibn Abbad Al Mutamid a king and poet in Sevilla and exile..

I'm in a garden labyrinth! help!

Los Baños de Doña María de Padilla

Plaza de España! It was built for an exposition many years ago and today it stands around lookin' pretty grand. It was also the set for Star Wars I and II. It's a pity it was siesta time, otherwise I could take my time here. The front courtyard was fairly vast, so I survived about a minute before running for shade. What's even more crazy was this tourist family on a little boat rowing their way across the pond/moat above. First of all, you can't get anywhere because the pond is a circle, and second of all, there is no shade for the poor family in the boat, unless perhaps they park under the bridge. No hat could save you here.

And here, I ended the night with more flamenco! clappity clap clap 


No comments :

Post a Comment